Vassar Stories

Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame honors senior All-American Cydni Matsuoka

Senior All-American guard  Cydni Matsuoka (Sacramento, CA) has her No. 10 Vassar College jersey displayed at the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame (WBHOF) in Knoxville, TN.

Cydni Matsuoka’s No. 10 Vassar College jersey on display in the “Ring of Honor” at the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame. Photo courtesy of the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame.
Cydni Matsuoka’s No. 10 Vassar College jersey on display in the “Ring of Honor” at the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame. Photo courtesy of the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame.

The Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame opened in June of 1999 and is the only facility of its kind dedicated to all levels of women’s basketball.  Including the 2013 induction, the WBHOF will celebrate its 15th anniversary, honoring 133 total inductees.  Matsuoka’s jersey is placed in the Hall’s “Ring of Honor,” which hangs from the rafters of the back rotunda and consists of 100 jerseys of the previous season’s All-American list.

Cydni Matsuoka ’14, 2012-13 All-American. Photo credit: Carlisle Stockton
Cydni Matsuoka ’14, 2012-13 All-American. Photo credit: Carlisle Stockton

Matsuoka was named as a D3hoops.com All-American fourth-teamer in 2012-13, as she averaged 17.4 points per game, shooting nearly 54 percent from the floor, to go with 141 assists (5.6 APG).  She also averaged 4.3 boards and chalked up eight games of 20 points or more.  She was named as the 2012-13 Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC) Division III Upstate and Liberty League Player of the Year.

“Having my jersey hung in the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame is an honor that I will remember for the rest of my life,” said Matsuoka.  “To be in a place filled with so much history and to see my jersey amongst so many other talented young players was almost surreal.  I felt a sense of pride in being able to represent Vassar College women’s basketball.  This honor has inspired me to continue improving my game and never settle for the player I am at this moment.”

Head coach Candice Brown also commented, “I am so proud of what Cydni has accomplished this far in her career.  I think it is an honor for her jersey to be displayed in the Women’s Basketball hall of Fame.  Her continued success brings recognition to Vassar College and our women’s basketball program.”

--Jamie Chagnon

Posted Friday, November 1, 2013